GOVERNANCE STATEMENT 2018-19
The Governing Body has three core functions, as set out in the Department for Education’s Governors’ Handbook:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- Holding the Headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school;
- Ensuring financial health, probity and value for money.
Our Governing body was restructured in August, 2018, and we have established the following governance structure for our school to undertake the core functions:
- 2 elected Parent Governors
- 1 elected Staff Governor
- 1 LA appointed Governor
- 7 Co-opted Governors (at least 1 of which will be a member of staff)
- The Headteacher
Co-opted Governors are appointed by the Governing Body for their specific skills and experience.
The Full Governing Body meets at least once per term, with the following Committees also meeting at least once per term:
- Resources Committee
- Curriculum and Standards Committee
Other committees exist but may only meet once per year or when needed for specific duties, such as performance management, exclusions and appeals.
Individual Governors are linked to a subject within the curriculum so that they can monitor the development of that subject in line with the school development plan.
The work done by our Governing Body this past year has included:
- Considering moving towards academy status.
- Ensuring the new National Curriculum is successfully embedded within school and continuing to monitor resources.
- Examining the key data which gives the results of pupil achievement and progress so that we can be sure we are on track to meet targets for all pupils.
- Assisting in the recruitment of new teaching staff and ensuring that teaching continues to improve throughout the school.
- Overseeing the maintenance and development of the school premises, making decisions about how the school should use the budget.
- Ensuring the safety and well-being of the children.
- Reviewing and agreeing key school policies.
The key priorities the Governing Body will focus on during the coming year will be:
- Continue to monitor the fulfillment of the school development plan and to engage in the production of future plans.
- Continue to develop the school premises and grounds.
We welcome suggestions, feedback and ideas from parents – please contact the Chair of Governors via the school office.